Before taking a medication, it is a good idea to know about it in detail. That is why we have prepared this blog so that when a person reads this he or she would come to know completely about Adderall medication.
Active ingredients- This medication is a combination of two active ingredients such as amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Both these are the stimulants which acts on the central nervous system. It affects certain natural chemicals in the brain which is responsible for hyperactivity and impulse control.
Administration of Adderall pills- The medication should be taken as instructed to you by the health care professional. If you are prescribed with extended release capsules then you should not break it and swallow it as a whole. This wakefulness promoting agent should not be taken few hours before going to sleep as it would make you to stay alert and would not let you to sleep.
Overdosing of Adderall- If you overdose the medication it would cause negative effects in the body so it is an immediate need to get medical help. This activity would save you from getting the ill effects from worsening.
What are the dosage strengths available in Adderall drug?
Adderall medication is available in different dosage strengths such as 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg, 12.5mg, 15mg, 20mg, 25mg and 30mg.
Adderall dosage for Adults with Narcolepsy- Take the pill with10mg dose after you got up in the morning. The dosage strength can be increased 10mg every week until it becomes 60mg. This maintenance dose should be taken in two to three divided doses per day.
Adderall adult dosage strength for ADHD- If you are going to take this medication for the first time then you can start with 20mg for a day.
Pediatric dose for Narcolepsy-
- If the child’s age is between 6 and 12, then Adderall with 5mg would be given in the morning. The dose can be increased 5mg every week until the doctor finds the best maximum dosage strength for the day. One of the divided doses can be taken as soon as the child gets awake in the morning and the other dosage strengths can be administered at different intervals.
- If the pediatric patient is above 12 years then 10mg would be the suitable starting dose. It can be increased 10mg every week till it gets increased to the appropriate maintenance dose. Take the Adderall divided doses with equal intervals.
Pediatric dose for ADHD-
- If the child age is between 3 and 5 then the initial Adderall dosage strength would be 2.5mg in the morning. The maximum dose per day would not exceed 40mg. Increase the Adderall dose weekly on a steady manner.
- If the pediatric patient’s age is between 6 and 12 then the initial dose would be 5mg to 10mg and the maximum dose is 30mg in a day.
- Patients who belong to the age group 13 to 17 can take 10mg as their initial dose. With the advice of a doctor, the Adderall dosage strength can be increased. The maximum dose for the day would be only 20mg.
Useful Links on Adderall:
- Adderall page on Wikipedia: For Additional Information on Adderall
- Precautions before taking Adderall : Get to know the safety precautions to take before taking Adderall.
- FDA safety Guidelines for Adderall: Guidelines to follow while taking Adderall for ADHD.
- Article about Adderall on NY Times: A wonderful article about ADHD drug Adderall